Brown rice for breakfast? Yes, please! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier. Brown rice is one of my favorite foods, but I typically reserve it for lunch or dinner for no good reason other than habit. Times are changing, though, and I’m all about starting my day with a good bowl of rice. For this Cinnamon Swirl Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl, I used a blend of brown, red and black sprouted rice, because the more colorful your rice the more phytonutrient power. This bowl is rich in fiber, protein and health-promoting phytochemicals. The flavor is that of a gooey cinnamon roll, but you won’t be filling up on refined sugar, dairy or oil. Just a simple blend of dates, coconut milk, cinnamon and rice. The best of both worlds – flavor and health – all thrown into one glorious bowl of goodness.
CINNAMON SWIRL BROWN RICE BREAKFAST BOWL
Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, oil free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull inspired by Kathy Freston
Yields 2 generous servings
- 3 cups cooked rice (I used Trader Joe’s Sprouted Organic California Rice – it’s a mix of brown, red and black rice)
- Cinnamon Swirl Coconut Cream
- Sliced almonds
- Fresh fruit (berries, banana slices, etc.)
- Cook rice according to directions. Note, 1 ½ cups uncooked rice + 3 cups water typically yields about 3 cups cooked rice.
- Make Cinnamon Swirl Coconut Cream – recipe below.
- Pour cooked rice and cinnamon swirl coconut cream into serving bowls, add toppings and enjoy (warm).
CINNAMON SWIRL COCONUT CREAM
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 12 medjool dates or deglet noor dates, pitted, soaked in boiling water for 20 min. and drained
- 1 cup lite organic coconut milk (I used the canned coconut milk from Trader Joe’s)
- ¼ tsp. pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Place pitted dates into tempered glass container and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 20 minutes, then drain through a colander.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine dates and remaining ingredients. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Sunday 9/4/16
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – HIIT Saturday