I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – beans are the best! They are great for your heart and they help to increase lifespan. Bean consumption also optimizes control of diabetes, while the phytates in beans appear to help in the prevention of osteoporosis. Hummus is a great way to get a healthy dose of beans and more veggies your life. You can enjoy hummus on a veggie burger, a green salad or with your favorite fresh veggies (snap peas, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.). You can take it on the go or serve it as an appetizer when you entertain. Hummus is creamy and delightfully tasty with virtually anything. This Classic Greek Hummus is a tried and true crowd pleaser, even among the pickiest of eaters. Enjoy!
CLASSIC GREEK HUMMUS
Vegan, gluten free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 3 cups (2, 15oz. cans) cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained (reserve 1 Tbsp. for garnish)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 to ½ cup tahini
- Juice from 2 large lemons (about ½ cup)
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. pink salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, optional
- 1-2 Tbsp. water, to thin
- 1 Tbsp. pine nuts, for garnish
- sweet paprika, for garnish
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, for garnish, optional
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, coriander, and salt. Blend until until smooth, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Once mixture is well blended, slowly drizzle in olive oil (optional) and water until desired texture is reached.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Transfer hummus into serving bowl or airtight container. Top with pine nuts, pinch of paprika, parsley and olive oil.
- Serve chilled. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 5/19/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Chipper Thursday!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – TRX Thursday
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Chipper Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – TRX Thursday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Chipper Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Chipper Thursday!
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Chipper Thursday
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Joel (private class)