How about some spelt berries, folks? Not really sure what these little berries are? Well, they’re a small grain (about the size of rice), native to Germany, and a distant cousin of modern-day wheat. Full of nutty, complex flavor and a distinctly hearty texture, spelt has a lot going for it. You can serve it warm with a dash of salt and olive oil, you can make it into a breakfast porridge topped with fruit and nuts, or you can make it into a salad, which brings us to today’s recipe! This Creamy Almond Pomegranate Spelt Berry Salad is fantastic alongside a leafy, green salad or all by itself. A tad spicy from the red pepper, creamy from the almond butter, and bursts of sweet from the pomegranates.
This recipe is dedicated to Stacy Roach 🙂
Creamy Almond Pomegranate Spelt Berry Salad
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields ~4 servings
Main Salad Ingredients:
- 2 cups cooked spelt berries*
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup diced bell peppers
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Creamy Almond Butter Sauce:
- ½ cup almond butter (organic, unsalted)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
Spelt Berry Directions:
- *I used a rice cooker to cook the spelt berries. Combine 1 cup spelt berries with 1 cup vegetable broth and 1 cup cold, filtered water. Stir, cover and cook until “done” light turns on.
- Don’t have a rice cooker? Follow these directions on Bob’s Red Mill site.
- Once berries are cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool for ~1hr in the fridge. For best results, place berries in a glass dish and partially cover (don’t seal the lid), so as to allow cool air to flow in and heat to escape.
Creamy Almond Butter Sauce Directions:
- In a food processor, combine almond butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and salt.
- Pulse/blend until creamy and smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine spelt berries, pomegranate seeds, belle peppers, green onion, chickpeas, and almond butter sauce. Fold ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 10/1/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Partner Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Chippin Thursday!
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – TRX Mash Up
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Partner Circuit
9:15 AM Rose Court Private Class – Coach Michelle – Met Con Thursday
11:00AM Cytosport Power Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)
3:30PM Miramonte Football Stretching Session – Coach Michelle & Coach Joel