Cool, rainy weather calls for a bowl of warm, tasty soup. This Creamy Butternut Squash Soup fits the bill – just a little something to nourish your body and soul, without taking up your whole night.
CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 16oz bag organic frozen butternut squash
- 1 16oz bag organic frozen cauliflower florets
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 15.5oz can organic light coconut milk
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth + more for sautéing
- 1 medium organic sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 leaves organic curly or dino/lactino kale, destemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- balsamic vinegar, for garnish
- pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, sauté diced onion until lightly browned. Add vegetable broth or water to prevent sticking.
- Add frozen butternut squash and cauliflower, cook for another couple minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Incorporate coconut milk, vegetable broth and diced sweet potato.
- Stir and reduce to a low boil.
- Cover with lid, leaving a small sliver of space for ventilation and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until potatoes, squash and cauliflower are tender.
- Remove from heat and carefully spoon the mixture into a high-speed blender. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- If you have an immersion blender, keep contents in pan and blend.
- With blended soup mixture back in saucepan, over low-medium heat, add kale, salt, red pepper flakes, and turmeric. Stir and simmer for 5 or so minutes.
- Add more vegetable broth to thin (optional) and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Pour into serving bowls, garnish with balsamic vinegar and pumpkin seeds, and enjoy!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 1/21/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Tabata Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Tabata Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – HIIT Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – HIIT Thursday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – HIIT Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Tabata Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)