Mmmmm…Creamy, dreamy alfredo sauce. This is not your typical alfredo sauce, packed with oodles and oodles of saturated fat and cholesterol. This sauce is made from cauliflower, my friends. Yes, cauliflower saves the day once again! Not only is cauliflower great for you, it tastes amazing once it’s cooked, and it has a lovely texture when blended.
The pinkish-orage hue comes from the tomato paste, which is not traditionally in alfredo sauce. But, trust me, it’s a game-changer. And, this recipe calls for cashews, which bring a whole new level of creaminess. But, if you want to omit them, you’ll still have a fantastic sauce.
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER ALFREDO
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie’s Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
Yields ~4 servings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and roughly minced
- drizzle of olive oil, optional
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt, or to taste
- 2 cups plant milk
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked overnight
- Night before: soak ¼ cup raw, unsalted cashews (in the refrigerator), in a covered container – I used a glass mason jar.
- Cut cauliflower into florets and place in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook for ~5 minutes until edges become golden brown. Add minced garlic, stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Drizzle on olive oil, if desired, and add salt, milk and tomato paste. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour into food processor.
- Add soaked cashews and blend for a few minutes until creamy and smooth. Scrape down sides as needed and test texture to be sure it’s even. You may have to blend for ~5 minutes.
- Pour mixture back into large saucepan, over low heat, stir and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve with your favorite pasta – we used zoodles (spiralized zucchini), but you can use brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa, or any other variety of pasta.
- Top with red pepper flakes or other seasonings and enjoy!
- For leftovers (if you have any!) store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 10/15/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuits Away!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circuits Away!
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Circuits Away!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuits Away!
9:15 AM Rose Court Private Class – Coach Jentry – Circuits Away!
11:00AM Cytosport Power Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)
3:30PM Miramonte Football Stretching Session – Coach Michelle & Coach Joel