It’s flashback Friday, so we’re reviving an old favorite, Creamy Romanesco Pasta with Pesto. The delightfully rich flavor and savory aroma are thanks to the romanesco, a stunning, nutrient-dense cruciferous vegetable. And, the pesto brings the yum factor to a whole, new level. Whether you’re entertaining or just enjoying a meal with your favorite people, you will wow everyone with this dairy free, gluten free, epic dish. Cheers!
CREAMY ROMANESCO PASTA WITH PESTO
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
PASTA & SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 package of small brown rice GF pasta shells (Tinkyada brand, available at Whole Foods)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 roasted bell peppers, diced (available in a jar at Whole Foods)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 head of Romanesco, chopped (cauliflower works, too)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ to 1 tsp. salt (to taste)
- ½ to 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Cook pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a dash of salt and olive oil, and add the brown rice pasta shells. Cook according to directions. Drain and set aside.
CREAMY ROMANESCO SAUCE METHOD
- In a large pot, sauté onion for 3-5 minutes, or until translucent and caramelized. Add a splash of veggie broth to prevent sticking.
- Add minced garlic and roasted bell peppers. Cook until fragrant (~1 min.)
- Add vegetable broth. Cover and heat until it starts to boil.
- Add chopped romanesco, tomato paste and ½-1 tsp salt. Cover and let simmer on med-low heat until romanesco is tender (~ 8-10 min.).
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor. May have to transfer in batches depending on size of blender/mixer. Purée until smooth.
- Transfer mixture back to the pot.
- Stir in ½ cup almond milk, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and cooked pasta shells. To thin the sauce, add another ½ cup almond milk. To thicken, add more tomato paste.
- Season with salt and red pepper.
- Top each serving with pesto sauce and swirl in.
- You can also top with broccoli or more veggies.
- 3 cups basil leaves, packed
- 1 cup baby kale, packed
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews or blanched almonds
- ½ cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. pink salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
PESTO SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 6/11/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Jentry- HIIT Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Michelle – Mash Up Saturday