Nothing says “Happy New Year” like a big, heaping pile of veggies. Really, really good looking, tasty veggies. If you have one resolution for 2016, let it be to…Eat. Your. Veggies. Everyday!
The health benefits of a veggie-rich diet are seemingly endless and by golly vegetables are delicious, especially when you know how to prepare them. Start with vegetables you know you like and then progress from there – maybe branch out and try something you hated as a kid and haven’t eaten since. Maybe something like Brussels sprouts. Or, better yet, Creamy Tahini Brussels Sprouts Salad.
CREAMY TAHINI BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull Inspired by Once Upon a Chef
Yields ~4-6 servings
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli slaw (available at Trader Joe’s)
- ½ cup shallots or onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. vinegar (I used a combination of red wine and apple cider)
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ cup tahini, or to desired thickness
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Prepare Brussels sprouts – wash, peel away unwanted, brown leaves, remove stems, cut in half, and thinly slice (long ways).
- In a large bowl, combine Brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw, shallots/onion, and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Combine dressing with salad mixture, toss, adjust seasonings to taste, and serve.
Happy New Year!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 1/2/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Karen – Met Con Saturday