Often times we feel as though we are not doing enough. We focus on our shortcomings or compare ourselves to our peers. It’s easy to go down that path of scarcity and insecurity. But, we can just as easily shift our perspective and redirect ourselves toward the path of abundance, bringing our focus to how far we have come and how we have evolved. It’s about making the decision to come from a place of love rather than fear. Crow Pose helps us to notice our state of mind and shift our perspective. When we approach Crow with love and gratitude and let go of judgment and fear, and we are empowered to practice those same principles off the mat. You will feel as if you’re flying and that’s a beautiful thing.
CROW POSE or BAKASANA (bahk-AHS-ana)
- From standing forward fold, bend your knees and crouch down.
- Plant your hands firmly onto your mat, shoulder-width distance apart, and spread your fingers wide to create a solid base.
- Bend your elbows and bring your knees to your triceps.
- Firm your naval to your spine and activate your core as you lift your hips.
- Send your gaze forward of your hands (about a foot) and avoid crunching the back of your neck.
- Draw your big toes to touch. Lift both feet to take flight or lift one foot followed by the other.
- Engage your mula bandha (root lock, pelvic floor).
- Firm your inner thighs and lift your anterior (front) ribs in and up.
- Hold and breath for several rounds of breath.
- Release into child’s pose or gorilla pose.
- For beginners, play with distributing your weight into your hands. This is a great place to start and it will help you build confidence for taking flight.
- For more advanced yogis, work toward straightening your elbows. I’m not there yet, otherwise I would demonstrate 🙂
- Builds strength in upper body – biceps, shoulders, triceps, forearms, wrists, abdominals.
- Energizes the entire body and increases the heart rate.
- Inspires confidence and empowers the self.
Chakra (Energetic Body)
- Crow pose activates our root chakra (Muladhara). This is the first of 7 main chakras in our energetic body, located at the base of our spine. The element of Muladhara is Earth and the color of this chakra is red. This chakra represents our most basic need for home, stability, safety, and connectedness. When we connect with our root chakra through poses like Crow Pose, we will feel grounded, calm, restored, and stable.
- Crow Pose also stimulates the solar plexus or third chakra (Manipura). This chakra is associated with our confidence, power, relationship with self and ego. This chakra resides in the abdominal area, obliques and internal organs (pancreas, liver, stomach, spleen). The element of this chakra is fire and the color of this chakra is yellow. When Manipura is in balance, we have a better understanding of self and we are able to separate our higher consciousness from our ego. When practicing asanas, such as Crow Pose, we “cultivate a willingness to gain insight into your understanding of power, individuality, and identification.”
- Beginner or not, many of us experience a mental block when practicing Crow Pose. It’s as much of a mental challenge as it is physical. We are taking a risk when stepping out of our comfort zone into this asana. How often do we rely on our hands to support the weight of our entire body? Rarely. So, it’s truly a leap of faith when we dive into crow. Practice patience and gratitude. Approach this pose with love and let go of fear. Focus on your strength and feel empowered by your willingness to practice this pose regardless of the outcome.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 5/23/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – Met Con Monday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – Met Con Monday
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – TRX Met Con
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach James TRX Met Con
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Joel – Met Con Monday
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Jentry – Met Con Monday
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kick – Coach Michelle (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)