This Vegan Tortilla Soup is reworked from a recipe I found on Oh She Glows, a great resource for fresh recipes. I didn’t have all of the ingredients and my body doesn’t agree with a lot of sodium or fake cheese so I changed it up!
Vegan Tortilla Soup
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped white onion
- 1 elephant garlic clove, minced
- 3 small sweet peppers, 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow
- 1 cup roasted corn
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped on pulse 6 times in a food processor
- 1/2 chopped anaheim chili
- 2 chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 T braggs amino acids
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 can cooked black beans
- himalayan sea salt & pepper & crushed red chili pepper, to taste
- Fresh lime juice, to garnish on top
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
- Corn Tortilla sticks chopped and cooked in a cast iron pan with a little coconut oil until chip like
1. In a large pot over medium to low heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop the peppers, green onion, and remove corn from cob (I take a chef’s knife and slice down the 4 sides). Add the veggies into the pot and sauté for another 5-10 minutes.
3. Add in the crushed tomatoes, cumin, broth, and chia seeds. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Stir in drained and rinsed beans just before serving.
4. Meanwhile, make your tortilla strips. Slice two white corn tortillas into 1/2 inch strips (see below). Spray coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook for a couple minutes then flip them. They will be crisp when done.
5. After the soup simmers, ladle into bowls, and top with sliced avocado, fresh lime juice, and tortilla strips. Serve immediately. Keeps in fridge for up to 5 days or can be frozen for 1 month. Its really good cold too!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 5/8/14
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Interval Training Build Up
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Allen
6AM Sunup Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Deck Doozie
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Interval Training Build Up
10:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed Yoga – Coach Michelle B
4PM Corporate Yoga CytoSport – Private Class – Michelle D.