Flip your dog, feel foot loose and fancy free, and have fun! This pose is the master of awakening and freeing your body and mind.
Flipping my dog with my one and only 🙂
Flip your Dog or Wild Thing (also known as Camatkarasana)
- Begin in Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Create a solid foundation with your right hand, rooting down into all five knuckles. Spread your fingers wide.
- Come onto the toes of your left foot and sweep your left foot in a semicircular shape from one side of your right foot to the other, landing on the right side of your mat.
- Meanwhile spin your right foot around to bring your heel toward the center of your mat and your toes toward the back edge of your mat.
- Extend your hips toward the sky.
- Firm your thighs and your glutes.
- Root down into your right hand and all four corners of both feet.
- Reach your left arm toward the front edge of your mat, framing your left ear with your left bicep.
- Broaden through your chest and extend your heart forward.
- Gaze past your left fingertips.
- Soften your left shoulder down your back.
- Inhale and press your hips higher to deepen your backbend.
- Exhale and firm your abdominal wall.
- Relax the muscles in your face and jaw.
- Hold for 5 to 10 rounds of breath.
- Carefully rewind to Downward Facing Dog and repeat on the other side.
- For individuals with tender backs, hold Side Plank Pose instead.
- Builds strength in quadriceps femoris, glutes, hamstrings, core, knees, neck, and back.
- Opens hip flexors, chest and shoulders.
- Wild Thing Pose is therapeutic for mild depression and fatigue.
- Wild Thing Pose ignites two major chakras: Anahata (heart chakra) and Vishuddha (throat chakra).
- As we lift from our heart center in Wild Thing, we empower our fourth chakra, Anahata. The essence of this chakra is selflessness. The element is air. The color of this chakra is green. Anahata governs our compassion, empathy, altruism, and respect for all life. This chakra is the root of love and kindness. Anahata connects our lower chakras with our upper chakras. It’s where we shift from “me” to “we” in our energetic body.
- When we extend our gaze beyond our front fingertips, we tap into Vishuddha, our fifth chakra or throat chakra. This chakra governs our authentic self, our truth. The color of this chakra is light blue/aqua. “The energy of this chakra allows you to seek knowledge that is true, beyond limitations of time and space, beyond cultural and family conditioning”, according to Chakra Anatomy.
- Feel wild, empowered and free. Allow the present moment to wash over you and let joy overflow from your heart and soul.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 4/25/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT REPS + AMRAP
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – HIIT REPS + AMRAP
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Piper – HIIT REPS + AMRAP
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Piper – HIIT REPS + AMRAP
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT REPS + AMRAP
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Jentry – HIIT REPS + AMRAP
11:00AM Cytosport Beginning/Intermediate Bodyweight Training – Coach Piper (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Piper (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)