Kale. It’s great for our skin, it contains readily absorbable calcium and it boost the body’s antioxidant levels. Finding creative and delicious ways to include kale, and other dark leafy greens, into each dish is a fun challenge for me. I love kale, but I know not everyone has kale cravings like me. Yes, it’s true, kale cravings do exist! If you don’t already crave a big bowl of kale, hopefully this Carrot Kale Sesame Salad helps to entice you a bit more…cheers!
CARROT KALE SESAME SALAD
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, grain free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Olena Gudz Danko
- 1 bunch dino/lacinato kale, stems removed and Chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- 3 cups grated rainbow carrots (or orange carrots)
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- 4 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil, optional*
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 5 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ cup juice from orange
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger root, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 1-2 Tbsp. warm water, to thin
- salt, to taste
- Whisk together dressing ingredients by hand or in a blender (if the tahini and nut butter aren’t at room temp).
- Adjust seasonings to taste and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sliced kale with a small amount of the dressing. Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale for about 20-30 seconds, or until the kale becomes bright green and slightly tender.
- Add carrots, green onion, desired amount of dressing, and toss.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro, and serve chilled.
- *The sesame oil is optional, but it does add a nice flavor.