Have a craving for more superfoods in your life?
Looking to diversify your protein sources?
Need an easy lunch or go-to snack?
We’ve got you covered. This no fuss, whole food, protein-packed, mineral-rich, hardy Mediterranean Quinoa Salad has it all – protein, fiber and iron to name a few. Oh, and it’s seriously delicious, too.
MEDITERRANEAN QUINOA SALAD
Vegan, gluten- free, dairy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6-8 servings
- 3 cups cooked quinoa *
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- splash of water, veggie broth or ½ Tbsp. avocado oil (optional), for sautéing
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup water or veggie broth, for steaming
- 2 bunch curly kale, stems removed and Chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- 2 cans (or 3 cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Pine nuts, for garnish
- Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese (available at Whole Foods), for garnish
- *Cook quinoa
- Rinse quinoa first. This will help remove the bitter aftertaste.
- Bring 2 cups liquid (veggie broth or water) to a boil, add 1 cup rinsed quinoa, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- See here for more quinoa cooking tips.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté diced onion and bell pepper with water/broth/olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown and caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Reduce heat to low-medium, incorporate broccoli florets and ½ cup water/broth. Partially cover and let broccoli steam for about 5 minutes. Add more water, if needed, and stir.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic.
- Once broccoli is tender and bright green, stir in handfuls of curly kale and chickpeas. Partially cover and let kale wilt for 2-3 minutes, or until bright green.
- Toss in cooked quinoa.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with pine nuts and/or Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese (available at Whole Foods).
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Written by: Coach Jentry on September 21, 2018.