Veggie burgers are a tried and true, go-to, nourishing staple in the Lee-Hull household. They require minimal cook time and cleanup, and never fail to leave us feeling satisfied and full. They’re also great on salads, rice, sautéed veggies, bread, and one of our favorite discoveries: Grilled Portobello “Buns”. Sandwiching a hearty veggie burger between delicious, marinated and grilled portobello mushrooms is a great way to fill up on some nutrient-rich fare, without adding in processed grains. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good whole grain bun or piece of sprouted grain toast. But, it’s nice to switch things up. This gluten-free, grain-free alternative “bun” is just another excellent way of incorporating more whole plant foods into your life.
PORTOBELLO STEAK BURGER BUNS
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull inspired by Williams-Sonoma
- 4 portobello mushrooms, trimmed with stems removed
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar (4% acidity)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. olive oil, optional
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely minced
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- Remove stems and trim edges from portobellos.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour into a large, shallow Pyrex baking dish. Transfer portobellos to dish, coat with marinade on both sides and place gill side up. Cover and let sit for about 1 hour.
- In a nonstick, stovetop griddle (I used GreenPan) over medium-low heat, cook marinated portobellos for about 4-6 minutes on both sides.
- Stuff with veggie burgers ( Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers are our favorite), guacamole, Southwestern Rainbow Slaw and enjoy!