Gather around for some colorful, flavorful, protein-rich, plant-powered Bánh mì Tacos! We swapped the bread (used in a traditional Banh mì sandwich) for vibrant purple cabbage, which not only adds some serious crunch, but also some killer phytonutrients! These tacos can be made spicy or mild, depending on your preference, and they’re fun for the whole family! Bon appétit.
VIBRANT BAHN MI TACOS
Vegan, refined oil-free, gluten-free, grain-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6-8 tacos
PICKLED VEGGIE INGREDIENTS
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons (using a vegetable peeler)
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small or ½ large cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
TOFU + GLAZE INGREDIENTS
- 1 20 oz. package extra firm sprouted organic tofu, sliced into thin, triangular pieces (see photo below)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1-2 tsp. Sriracha sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (gluten free) or soy sauce (not gluten free)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 head purple cabbage, for taco shells
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREMA INGREDIENTS
- Flesh from one large avocado or 2 small, pitted and peeled like so
- 2 Tbsp. water, or more as needed to thin out
- Juice from 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
PICKLED VEGGIE METHOD
- In a Mason Jar or glass bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, maple syrup, salt and cayenne.
- Stir in veggies, cover and set aside until tacos are ready. Or, make one day ahead for extra pickled veggies.
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREMA METHOD
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
TOFU + GLAZE METHOD
- Slice tofu into thin, even squares then cut squares on a diagonal to make triangles.
- Whisk together maple syrup, rice vinegar, Sriracha, tamari/soy sauce, coconut aminos, lime juice, and garlic powder.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, place tofu triangles in an even layer across the skillet. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to cook the tofu in a couple separate rounds. Set cooked tofu aside on a plate while remaining tofu is browning.
- Brown tofu for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Tofu may stick at first, but once it’s browned, it will be easy to flip.
- Once all tofu triangles are browned, place them back into the skillet all at once. Reduce heat to low-medium, toss tofu with glaze until each piece is evenly coated.
- Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.
- Wash purple cabbage and pull apart into individual cabbage leaves.
- Assemble tacos, top with pickled veggies and cilantro avocado crema, if desired, and enjoy!