Tacos are the queen bee of satisfying dishes. There’s really nothing better, especially when they happen to be loaded with nutrient-dense, plant-based ingredients. These Roasted Sweet Potato and Beyond Meat Tacos are all that and then some. Not only do they have a nice meaty flavor and texture, they’re also abundant in protein, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. Just a few of the many reasons why Taco Tuesday should week-long celebration.
ROASTED SWEET POTATO AND BEYOND MEAT TACOS
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (see recipe below)
- Beyond Meat
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-11oz. package Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Crumbles, Feisty (available in the frozen foods section at Whole Foods, Safeway, Sprouts, and Target)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice from ½ lime
- Cabbage Slaw (see recipe below)
- Black beans
- Corn tortillas
- Hot sauce
- Lime Juice
ROASTED SWEET POTATO INGREDIENTS
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed (keep skin intact) and diced
- 2 tsp. oil (optional)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Prepare Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cabbage Slaw ahead of time.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add oil and onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onion begins to caramelize.
- Add minced garlic and Beyond Meat. Toss and cook until Beyond Meat is warmed all the way through – about 5 or so minutes. Be careful to not overcook.
- Season with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Warm black beans and tortillas, then assemble tacos.
- Top with cabbage slaw, salsa, guacamole, hot sauce and lime juice.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
ROASTED SWEET POTATO METHOD
- Preheat oven to 425-450°F (depending on your oven).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss diced sweet potato in oil, salt, and spices.
- Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- Roast for 22-28 minutes, turning halfway through to evenly cook.
- Once edges are lightly brown and centers are tender, remove from heat.
CABBAGE SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 2 heaping cups purple and green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and diced
- Juice from ½ orange
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. oil (avocado or olive)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne
CABBAGE SLAW METHOD
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together orange, lime, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper(s).
- Incorporate cabbage and jalapeño, toss and keep cool until ready to serve.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.