Figuring out new ways of maximizing my phytonutrient intake is my idea of fun, especially when it results in a delicious dish. Today’s Friday Feast is centered around simple, easy, and nutrient-rich. You know, just some whole plant foods getting together to bring out the best in each other and satisfy your soul. So, here you have it, a baked sweet potato stuffed to the max. I went with spicy black beans, tomatoes, jalepenos, cilantro crema, and onions. But you have creative license here. Go with your gut and eat for your gut. Cheers!
STUFFED BAKED SWEET POTATO
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 whole sweet potato
- avocado or olive oil
- 1-15oz. can Spicy Black Beans*
- 1-10oz. can Petit Diced Tomatoes with Cilantro and Jalapeños*
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro Avocado Crema (Recipe below)
- Diced red and green onion
- Preheat oven to 350 °
- Scrub, rinse and dry sweet potato.
- Poke it with a few holes, using the point of a sharp knife, rub with a small amount of avocado or olive oil (optional) and a sprinkle with salt (optional).
- Wrap in foil and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until potato is tender all the way through.
- Cut potato in half, mash flesh using a fork, and add desired amount of beans and diced tomatoes. Place back in the oven to warm for about 5-10 minutes while you prepare Cilantro Avocado Crema (if using) or any other chilled toppings.
- Once ready, remove potato from heat, add remaining toppings and enjoy.
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREMA INGREDIENTS
- Flesh from one large avocado or 2 small, pitted and peeled like so
- 2 Tbsp. water, or more as needed to thin out
- Juice from 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Cayenne pepper to taste
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREMA METHOD
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- I used the Whole Foods Organic 365 brand for both the spicy black beans and the petite diced tomatoes. If you aren’t into spice or you have a different brand you prefer, go for it.
- This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. It’s also very customizable. So, get your friends and family together and have a stuffed baked sweet potato party!
Written by: Coach Jentry on June 16, 2017.