Last week was National Grilled Cheese Day and of course we celebrated, plant-based style. The dark days of vegan cheese are over, thank goodness, so I wanted to share this glorious dairy free, gluten free, grilled cheese recipe with all of you. Because when something is as good as this, you can’t keep it to yourself!
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Makes 2 small grilled cheese sandwiches
GRILLED CHEESE INGREDIENTS
- 4 slices bread (I used Bread SRSLY Classic Gluten Free Sourdough bread)
- 1-2 Tbsp. Basil and Baby Greens Pesto (recipe below)
- 1-2 Tbsp. Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese
- 2 slices Chao Cheese (I used Tomato Cayenne and Coconut Herb)
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled like so and sliced lengthwise
- ½ tomato, sliced
BASIL & BABY GREENS PESTO SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby greens (kale, chard, collard greens)
- ½ cup cashews, pine nuts or walnuts
- ¼ to ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
GRILLED CHEESE DIRECTIONS
- Slice bread into thin slices and place onto large nonstick skillet, over medium heat. Turn bread after 2-3 minutes, to brown on the the other side.
- Remove bread from pan, spread pesto on one side of each slice, spread cream cheese over pesto, layer on sliced cheese and tomato.
- Sandwich bread together, place back onto skillet, reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook for 2-5 minutes on each side until cheese melts and bread is golden brown.
- Remove from heat, cut and serve!
BASIL & BABY GREENS PESTO SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Slowly add olive oil while blending the mixture until the texture becomes creamy and smooth, scraping down side of processor as you go.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Store leftovers in airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.