Looking for something to serve at your July 4th BBQ? We have just the thing! Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad. Flavorful, fruity, savory and healthy. A crowd-pleaser all around!
GRILLED ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD
Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, cholesterol-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 servings
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, rinsed, unwanted leaves removed and sliced in half (lengthwise)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, optional
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 nectarines, pitted and sliced in half
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- 4 pimiento peppers (cherry peppers), sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Beyond Chicken Grilled Strips (available at Sprouts, Safeway, Whole Foods)
CAESAR DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews (soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes), rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup juice from pepperoncinis + 2 pepperoncinis
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- pinch of pink salt
- pinch of white or black pepper
- water, to thin
CAESAR DRESSING METHOD
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add water to reach desired consistency.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook Beyond Chicken Grilled Strips according to package directions. Add veggie broth to prevent sticking. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder if desired.
- Mix olive oil and red wine vinegar, and brush onto romaine halves. This step is optional – you’ll still get plenty of flavor from the dressing if you want to omit extra oil.
- Meanwhile, in a stovetop ceramic griddle (I used GreenPan) over medium heat, grill romaine halves, face down, for 2-4 minutes or until distinct grill marks appear. Flip and grill for another couple minutes. *
- Reduce griddle heat to low-medium heat and grill nectarines, face down, for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer romaine and nectarines onto serving plates, top with grilled strips and remaining toppings. Drizzle on Cesar dressing and enjoy immediately!
- If you’d prefer to grill your romaine halve on a BBQ grill, just make sure the heat is low and your romaine halves don’t burn.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 6/30/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Med Ball Madness
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Met Con Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Circuit Work
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Met Con Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
10:30AM Summer Yoga at the Lafayette Reservoir – Coach Michelle D.
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)
4PM Miramonte Varsity Stretch & Mobility – Coach Jentry & Coach Michelle (private class)