It’s officially summer, so we are grilling up all sorts of things over here, even watermelon. Yes, watermelon! Grilling is a great way to add flavor to your favorite fruits and veggies. This watermelon pizza took less than 30 minutes from start to finish and it was unbelievably tasty. I am used to cold, refreshing watermelon so I honestly wasn’t expecting much from this dish. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. Grilled watermelon is still sweet and refreshing, but it’s also savory and satisfying. It makes for a delightful appetizer or main dish alongside a fresh, green salad. Cheers!
GRILLED WATERMELON PIZZA
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, grain free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull inspired by Rachel Ray
Yields 2 pizzas
- 6 Tbsp. vinegar (red wine or champagne)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil, optional
- ½ tsp. pink salt
- 2 discs seedless watermelon, sliced 1-2 inches thick
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 cup micro greens, for garnish
- cashew parmesan, for garnish
- balsamic vinegar, for garnish
CASHEW PARMESAN INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. pink salt
- In a small dish, whisk together vinegar, lime juice, olive oil and salt.
- Using a pastry brush, brush both watermelon discs with vinegar mixture and set watermelon aside.
- Add sliced red onion and jalapeño to remaining vinegar mixture to pickle, cover and set aside.
- Using a stovetop griddle (I used GreenPan), over medium heat, grill each watermelon disc (one at a time) for about 2-4 minutes on each side, or until grill marks appear.
- Once grilled, cut watermelon into “pizza” slices, garnish with pickled onion and jalapeños, micro greens, cashew parmesan and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
CASHEW PARMESAN METHOD
- Combine cashews, nutritional yeast and salt in a clean, dry coffee grinder or food processor and blend until mixture is finely ground.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- You can try this recipe using an outdoor grill. Just keep an eye on the watermelon and be careful not to burn.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 6/23/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Skill Building Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Skill Building Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – HIIT It!
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Skill Building Circuit
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – HIIT It!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Skill Building Circuit
10:30 Summer Yoga at the Lafayette Reservoir – Coach Michelle D.
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)
4PM Miramonte Varsity Stretch – Coach Jentry and Coach Michelle (private class)