Half Moon Pose is a great pose for those seeking a balance challenge. It builds confidence and strength, it requires intense focus and it steadies the mind.
Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana (are-dah chan-DRAHS-anna)
- Begin in Warrior II or Extended Side Angle, with your right leg forward.
- Inhale, reach your right arm beyond your toes as you glide your back foot a few inches toward the front of your mat.
- Ground down through all four corners of your right foot.
- Exhale, float your left leg high to bring it parallel to the floor.
- Place your left hand on your hips or extend it toward the sky.
- Float your right fingertips away from the ground or place your right hand on a block.
- Flex your lifted foot.
- Lengthen through the right and left sides of your waist.
- Stack your hips, left on top of right.
- Glue your naval to your spine.
- Draw your gaze forward or up to challenge your balance.
- Create one line of energy from your top fingertips down through your bottom fingertips.
- Hug your shoulder blades together.
- Hold and breathe for a few rounds of breath.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Strengthens glutes, thighs, core and leg muscles.
- Opens chest and groin muscles.
- Improves balance.
- Ardha Chandrasana energizes our second chakra, also known as Svadisthana. This chakra resides in our hips, sacrum, and lower abdominal areas. The color of Svadisthana is orange and its essence is water. Exploring this chakra through Half Moon Pose opens us up to our creativity, intimacy, connection to all things, relationships, and emotions. When this chakra is in balance, we develop a greater sense of peace and contentment. We are empowered and present. We let go of any judgment or attachment to the outcome, and find calm in the unknowing.
- Notice the sensation of rooting firmly through your standing leg as your top arm soars toward the sky. You are simultaneously grounding down as you lift up. These two actions are working together to create stability and lightness in your body, spirit and mind. Breathe into this.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 10/3/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Rev Up Met Con
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – TRX Short Circuit
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristin – TRX Short Circuit
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Rev Up Met Con
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kickboxing – Coach Michelle (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach Joel (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)