Who doesn’t love a plate of steaming, hot hashed browns every once in a while? Unfortunately, too often they’re super greasy, overly salty, or both. So, we’ve revamped your classic hashed browns to make them wayyyy healthier, more nutrient dense (thanks to the kale, black beans and sweet potatoes), packed with all sorts of flavor (not just salt and oil), and bite sized (great for on the go!).
HASHED BROWN BITES
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from the Fat Free Vegan
Yields 12 bites
HASHED BROWN BITES INGREDIENTS
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 handfuls baby kale or other greens
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen hashed browns (I used Alexia Organic Hashed Browns)
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans (or 1 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained)
SWEET POTATO CHEESE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Flesh from ½ large or 1 small cooked sweet potato or yam (use one with orange flesh, such as a red garnet or jewel)
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews (soaked for at least 1 hr. and drained*)
- 1 ½ cup plant milk (almond, soy, etc.)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. garlic granules
- 1 tsp. onion granules
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, or other pepper for heat
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREMA INGREDIENTS
- Flesh from one large avocado or 2 small, pitted and peeled like so
- 2 Tbsp. water, or more as needed to thin out
- Juice from 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste
SWEET POTATO CHEESE SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients and blend for 1-2 minutes, or until creamy and smooth.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
HASHED BROWN BITES DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil cupcake pan or line with paper liners.*
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, water or broth sauté onion for 3-5 minutes.
- Add hashed browns, cook for about 5 minutes, turn and cook for another 5 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown.
- Add minced garlic and kale, cook for 1-2 minutes or until kale begins to wilt and garlic becomes aromatic.
- Incorporate about 1-2 cups of the cheese sauce, all the black beans and stir to evenly coat.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon hashed brown mixture evenly into 12 cupcake tins or liners.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Check halfway through and rotate pan to ensure even baking.
- Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dishes, top with fresh avocado, salsa and or cilantro avocado crema (see recipe above).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREMA DIRECTIONS
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- To speed up the soaking time for the cashews, soak them in hot water for about 10-15 minutes. Then, rinse and drain.
- If you don’t have a cupcake pan, us an 11X9 in. baking dish. Line with parchment paper or lightly oil and bake hashed brown mixture for 30-40 minutes. Because of the longer baking time, you may want to cover with foil to prevent burning around the edges or on the surface.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Sunday 4/10/16
8:00 AM Running Team Meet Up – Coach Karen
8:30 AM Spartan Race Training – Oak Hill Park, Danville – Coach Michelle