Yep, today is about the convenient, tried and true hot dog. No, silly not that kind! Even better. We’re talking about Carrot “Hawt Dawgs”. Yes, when in doubt…whole, plant foods are the way to go. For your health and the health of our planet.
CARROT “HAWT DAWGS” WITH SWEET POTATO “BUNS” & KALE BEET RELISH
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Adapted from Clean Eating Veggie Girl’s Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs
Yields 4 dawgs
Note: Start carrot marinading process 1 day in advance.
“Hawt Dawg” Ingredients:
- 4 large, rainbow carrots, scrubbed and peeled (available at T Joe’s and Whole Foods)
- 1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, optional
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder/granules
- 1 tsp onion powder/granules
- 1 tsp paprika
Sweet Potato “Buns” Ingredients:
- 4 small sweet potatos, scrubbed
Kale Beet Relish Ingredients:
- 3 medium red beets, scrubbed and peeled
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar – reserve 1/4 cup for kale
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch curly green kale leaves, removed from stems and chiffonade
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado or 2 Tbsp tahini
- juice from 1/2 large orange
Sweet Potato “Buns” Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pierce sweet potatoes a few times with a fork, place in foil and bake for ~45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- Keep in foil until ready to serve.
Directions for Kale Beet Relish:
- Scrub and peel beets. Steam for ~25-30 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Cut beets into small cubes or put in food processor and pulse until beets are roughly chopped.
- Combine beets with 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, water, salt and cayenne. Set beet mixture aside.
- De-stem and chiffonade (thinly slice) kale leaves. Place in large salad mixing bowl.
- Thinly slice red onion and add to kale along with remaining 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, avocado or tahini and orange juice.
- Massage mixture until kale is bright green and tender.
- Combine kale mixture with beet mixture in fridge until ready to serve.
“Hawt Dawg” Directions:
- Steam carrots for 8-12 minutes, or until carrots are tender (use a metal fork to test).
- Combine remaining liquid ingredients and spices in a small bowl, whisk and pour into a glass baking dish.
- Place cooked carrots in glass dish, cover and marinade for a full 12-24 hours – the longer marinading time, the richer the flavor.
- Remove carrots from marinade (keep juices) and cook over medium heat on a large skillet. Add 1-2 Tbsp of marinade for a juicier dog.
- Turn carrots every 3-4 minutes to brown each side until carrots are crispy and cooked all the way through.
Assemble Carrot Hawt Dawgs:
- Slice sweet potatoes length-wise down the center (to make a bun shape).
- Place a Dawg in each “Bun”.
- Top with Kale Beet Relish and enjoy!
Get more plant happy and enjoy your Carrot “Hawt Dawgs” with a big, green salad.
Cheers to your health!