Me oh my, it’s heirloom tomato season! These stunning creations from Mother Earth are a tomato lover’s dream. Colorful, aromatic and juicy, heirloom tomatoes bring some serious game to any dish. Today, in celebration of these gorgeous seasonal gems, we’re taking it back to the classic Insalata Caprese with a plant-powered twist. And, to give this super stellar salad even more pazaazz, we’re topping it off with easy, homemade Basil & Baby Greens Pesto.
INSALATA CAPRESE WITH BASIL & BABY GREENS PESTO
Inspired by The Fitchen’s Vegan Caprese Salad
Dairy-free, gluten-free, plant-powered
Marinading time: 8-12 hours (for best results)
Recipe By: Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 (14oz.) package firm, organic tofu
- 2 large tomatoes, heirloom if available
- 2-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- pink Himalayan salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby greens (kale, chard, collard greens)
- 1/4 cup cashews, pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4-1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Whisk together 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, and pinch of salt. Pour into a shallow, glass container.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place in prepared oil/vinegar mixture. Cover and place in the fridge for 8-12 hours. If short on time, no need to fret. Just marinate for as long as you can to maximize the flavor (at least 60 minutes, if possible)
- In a separate, shallow glass dish, drizzle 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Remove tofu from packaging, drain and press gently between hands or two paper towels. This will remove the juices and allow the tofu to absorb the flavors of the dish.
- Cut tofu into 1/4 inch slices and round edges or use a cookie cutter, to give the appearance of mozzarella.
- Place tofu slices in prepared baking pan and coat all sides of tofu with the olive oil/salt mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pesto.
- Once tomatoes have marinated and everything is ready to go, assemble the salad alternating tofu, tomato and pesto.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil, while blending the mixture until the texture becomes creamy and smooth.
Have a super Wednesday!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 7/9/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Chipper Thursday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Chipper Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Chipper Thursday
7:10 AM Summer Walnut Creek class – Coach Briana – Chipper Thursday
8:15AM Outdoor Yoga at the Moraga Commons – Coach Jentry
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Chipper Thursday
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)