I love soup and I don’t care who knows it. It’s easy to prepare and yields a ton of great leftovers. It’s filling, healthy, flavorful, nourishing, and nutrient-dense. We love soup rain or shine, especially when it tastes as good as this Italian Tomato & Kale Farro Soup. Hooray for soup!
ITALIAN TOMATO & KALE FARRO SOUP
Vegan, dairy free, refined oil free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from William Sonoma’s Tuscan Farro Soup
Yields 8-10 servings
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth + more (depending on how soupy you like your soup)
- 1 cup farro, uncooked, rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 3 cups white beans or chickpeas
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 bunch Tuscan/lactino kale, Chiffonade
- fresh basil, Chiffonade (for garnish)
ALMOND PARMESAN INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup raw almonds (chilled in the fridge for about an hour)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, water/broth sauté onion for ~5 minutes, or until caramelized and translucent.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Incorporate 8 cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add farro, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15-20 minutes, partially covered.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, salt and spices. Cook for another 10 or so minutes.
- Check farro to be sure it’s cooked (it should have a chewy texture).
- Add more broth, if desired.
- Season to taste.
- In serving bowls, add a small handful of Chiffonade kale. Pour soup on top, to gently cook the kale, then stir.
- Top with almond parmesan and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or the freezer for a month.
ALMOND PARMESAN DIRECTIONS
- In a food processor or clean coffee grinder, blend all ingredients until mixture is finely ground.
- Store leftovers in air-tight container in the fridge.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 3/17/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Move Out
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Move Out
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – CHIP IT!
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Move Out
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – CHIP IT!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Move Out
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Chip IT!
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)