Mmmmmmm sorbet! When I was a little kid I used to love rainbow sorbet. You know that kind of sorbet that’s packed with refined sugar, artificial coloring and a whole heap of other nonsense? Thankfully, times have changed and I’ve moved on to better, healthier things like this Kiwano, Banana, & Pineapple Sorbet. Made from real, whole fruits, no processed sugar, and served in a gorgeous kiwano melon (aka New Zealand horned melon), this sweet treat is also sweet for your health.
Note, this recipe calls for kiwano juice, which is a little tricky to extract, because kiwanos, although juicy in the center, are filled with seeds making it difficult to separate the juice from the seeds. You can easily replace the kiwano juice with nondairy milk or cold, filtered water instead. And, if you want to eliminate all added sugars, take out the agave nectar. I did. The fruits bring plenty of sweet to this treat!
Kiwano, Banana, & Pineapple Sorbet
Yields 3 servings
Recipe by: The FatFree Vegan
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, frozen
- juice of one kiwano (or use 1/3 cup of any other fruit juice, nondairy milk or water)
- 2 Tbsp. agave nectar or other sweetener, optional
- Put the frozen fruit in a food processor and allow it to thaw for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the agave nectar with the kiwano juice. Start up the food processor and pulse to chop the fruit thoroughly.
- Add the juice-agave mixture (if using), water, or nondairy milk and process, scraping down the sides of the processor if necessary, until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately in the shells of the kiwano or in small bowls.
- Garnish with fresh berries, crushed almonds, or chia seeds.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 0 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3
Nutrition (per serving): 149 calories, 3 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2.1mg sodium, 370.4mg potassium, 38.6g carbohydrates, 3.5g fiber, 27.7g sugar, 1.2g protein, 4.5 points.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 7/16/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Met Con Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Obstacle Course Chipper
7:10 AM Summer Walnut Creek class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
8:15AM Outdoor Yoga at the Moraga Commons – Coach Jentry
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
11:00AM Cytosport Power Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)