As the old adage goes, one person’s trash is another person’s treasure. This rings true when you discover that the chickpea water you’ve been tossing out all these years is the key ingredient to Marshmallow Fluff! Yes, I know it sounds strange to use chickpea water in a dessert, but it’s a lot better than using gelatin. This cruelty free, gelatin free, chickpea-powered Marshmallow Fluff is a friendlier, healthier alternative to your standard marshmallow fluff and if you’re into food science, it’s pretty spectacular to see the ingredients transform into marshmallow magic.
Vegan, Gluten Free, Gelatin Free, Dairy Free
Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie’s Healthy Vegan Marshmallow Fluff
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- Liquid from 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking powder or cream of tartar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (use Whole Food’s 365 organic brand)
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Drain 1 can chickpeas into a mixing bowl. Set chickpeas aside and use for hummus or other fun stuff.
- Add remaining ingredients into the same mixing bowl. Using a standing mixer or electric mixer, beat for several minutes. It could take upwards of 10 minutes, so be patient. The mixture will transform into white, beautiful fluff right before your eyes. It’s pretty cool.
- Top some Flourless Black Bean Brownies (Vegan, Gluten Free) or your favorite treats with the fluff and enjoy!