Have a craving for more superfoods in your life? Looking to diversify your protein sources? Need an easy lunch or go-to snack? Look no further, friends. We have you covered. This simple, whole food, protein-packed, mineral-rich, hearty Mediterranean Quinoa has it all. Protein, fiber and iron to name a few. Oh, and it’s delicious, too!
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6-8 servings
- 3 cups cooked quinoa *
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- splash of water, veggie broth or ½ Tbsp. olive oil, optional (for sautéing)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup water or veggie broth (for “steaming”)
- 2 large handfuls curly kale, Chiffonade
- 2 cans (or 3 cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Pine nuts, for garnish
- Kite Hill Soft Fresh Truffle Dill & Chive cheese (available at Whole Foods), for garnish
- Cook quinoa
- Bring 2 cups liquid (veggie broth or water) to a boil, add 1 cup quinoa and pinch of salt. Stir, reduce heat to low and cover. Let cook for about 15 minutes. See here for more quinoa cooking tips.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté diced onion and bell pepper with water/broth/olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown and caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Reduce heat to low-medium, incorporate broccoli florets and ½ cup water/broth. Partially cover and let broccoli steam for about 5 minutes. Add more water if needed and stir about 2.5 minutes in. Be careful not to burn garlic.
- Once broccoli is tender and bright green, stir in handfuls of curly kale and chickpeas. Partially cover and let kale wilt for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in cooked quinoa.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with pine nuts and/or Kite Hill Soft Fresh Truffle Dill & Chive cheese (available at Whole Foods).
- Serve warm or chilled.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 9/1/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Simple Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Simple Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – HIIT Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – HIIT Thursday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – HIIT Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Simple Circuit
10:30AM Summer Yoga at the Lafayette Reservoir – Coach Michelle B.
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)
3:30PM Varsity Stretching – Miramonte – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristen (private class)