After a successful trip to Farmer’s Market, we found ourselves swimming in a mountain of green beans, Brussels Sprouts and strawberries – just to name a few – and so I thought, why not make a pizza? Pizza is usually thought of as a junk food or a cheat meal, but it doesn’t have to be when you load it with fresh, nutrient-dense, whole plant foods. And, it may seem odd to have these ingredients on pizza, but I assure you this is one of my new favorite recipes. It’s a nice, light summer dish that pairs perfectly with a big, green salad. Enjoy!
MEDITERRANEAN STRAWBERRY ALMOND CHEESE PIZZA
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free (available)
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 pizzas
- 1 package Vicolo Organic Corn Meal Crusts (available at TJ’s and Whole Foods – GF also available)
- Pesto (see recipe below)
- 1 large handful fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped in half
- 2 cups (about 1 lb.) Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- pink Himalayan salt
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- Balsamic vinegar (4% acidity, if available)
- Kite Hill Soft Fresh Truffle & Dill Almond Cheese (available at Whole Foods), for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make pesto sauce – see ingredients and method below.
- Prepare green beans:
- In a large bowl, add cold water and 2 cups ice. Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of a large pot with 1 inch of water. Cover with steamer basket and bring water to a boil. Add beans and steam for 3 minutes, or until beans are bright green and slightly tender.
- Remove from heat, drain and transfer beans to bowl of ice water.
- If you don’t have a steamer basket, bring 2 cups water to a boil, add beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and transfer beans to bowl of ice water.
- Prepare Brussels Sprouts:
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, place halved Brussels Sprouts, face down, on skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until sprouts are golden brown. Sauté with water or veggie broth to prevent sticking.
- Toss, then add shallots, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté, tossing frequently, for another 5 or so minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Assemble Pizzas:
- Remove crusts from package.
- Spread generous amount of pesto sauce on each crust.
- Add green beans, Brussels Sprouts and sliced strawberries.
- Drizzle on balsamic vinegar.
- Place pizzas directly onto oven rack and bake for 10-12 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Remove pizzas from oven, add Truffle & Dill Almond cheese, crumble on with your fingers, and let pizzas set for 1 minute before cutting.
- Cut, garnish with more balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes, if desired and serve!
- 3 cups basil leaves, packed
- 1 cup baby kale, packed
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews or blanched almonds
- ½ cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. pink salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, optional
PESTO SAUCE METHOD
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Get ahead of the game and prepare/cook your pesto, green beans and Brussels Sprouts ahead of time. That way, when you’re ready to make your pizza it’s just a matter of assembling and baking.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 8/25/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuit Works
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circuit Works
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Met Con Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Met Con Thursday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Met Con Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuit Works
10:30AM Summer Yoga at the Lafayette Reservoir – Coach Michelle D.
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)