Today we’re serving up more salad and this time we’re bringing out the big guns – potatoes, lentils, and yes, more veggies! A great source of iron, from the lentils and pumpkin seeds, which is more easily absorbed thanks to the vitamin C in the bell peppers and lemon juice (in the Goddess Dressing). The potatoes and chickpeas make this salad extra hearty, while the dressing and hummus add a rich flavor and creamy texture.
MIDDLE EASTERN SALAD
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 1 large (serves between 2-4)
You will need: 1 mixing bowl, 2 baking sheets, parchment paper, a knife
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, roasted
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, roasted
- 1 bell pepper, roasted
- olive oil or avocado oil, for roasted veggies
- 2 cups cooked lentils (any color – green, red or black)
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 6 large handfuls baby greens, washed and spun dry
- Goddess Dressing
- Classic Greek Hummus
- Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds, for garnish
- fresh pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries, for garnish
- whole grain pita bread
- Preheat oven to 400° Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash and scrub potatoes. Pat dry and slice in half lengthwise.
- Toss in a large mixing bowl with salt and pepper. Add a small drizzle of oil, if desired (it’s not necessary for browning). Place, face down, onto lined baking sheet and roast at 400°F for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are crispy and golden brown.
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts. Cut stems and slice in quarters, lengthwise. Break apart leaves and add to a large bowl.
- Seed and slice bell peppers. Add to mixing bowl with Brussels sprouts. Toss with salt, pepper and oil (optional). Transfer to the second lined baking sheet and roast at 400°F for 12-18 minutes, or until peppers are tender and Brussels are crisp.
- Meanwhile, cook lentils according to package directions.
- Cook chickpeas or rinse and drain 1 can of cooked chickpeas.
- Prepare Goddess Dressing and Classic Greek Hummus.
- Warm pita bread in the oven for a few minutes.
- Add washed baby greens to a large mixing bowl. Toss with dressing.
- Plate salad with lentils, chickpeas, roasted potatoes, roasted Brussels Sprouts and bell pepper mixture, and hummus. Top with pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds or cranberries and enjoy with warm pita bread.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 11/5/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Jentry – Double Down Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – AMRAP Saturday