Give this one a try. You will be so happy you did. Trust me.
PESTO ALFREDO SPAGHETTI SQUASH
Vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 3-4 servings
You will need: a high-powered blender or food processor
- 1 whole spaghetti squash, cooked*
- 1 ½ cups cashews, soaked*
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-16oz bag frozen organic cauliflower rice (available at Trader Joe’s)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1-2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Small handful fresh basil + more (for garnish)
- Cook Shiitake Bacon (optional add on). See recipe below.
- Cook spaghetti squash, using one of the following methods. *Notice the difference in cooking times and consider cooking ahead of time if using a longer cooking method.
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (cooking time <20 min.): Insert metal rack into inner pot, add 1 ½ cups water and whole spaghetti squash (no need to cut). Cover with lid and seal. Turn setting to “Manual” and adjust time for 10 minutes. Allow time for pressure to release before removing lid.
- Slow Cooker (cooking time 4 hrs.)
- Oven (cooking time <1 hr.)
- Carefully remove spaghetti squash from heat, hold with tongs, slice lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Remove skin and stem (they should easily fall away) and place into a large bowl. Break squash apart, using a metal fork, until spaghetti strands form. Keep in bowl and set aside.
- Prepare Alfredo Sauce:
- In a tempered glass container (i.e. Pyrex glass measuring cup) soak cashews in hot or boiling water for 15 minutes). After soaking, rinse, drain and set aside. *You can skip this step if you have a high-powered blender.
- In a large pot over medium heat, water/broth sauté diced shallots for 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add cauliflower rice.
- Incorporate water/broth, cashews, and salt. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a high-powered blender or food processor. You may have to do this in a couple batches, depending on the capacity of your blender/processor.
- Add white pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and basil. Blend for 1-2 minutes, or until creamy and smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Add sauce to spaghetti squash bowl. Toss until well incorporated.
- Transfer to serving bowls, top with Shiitake Bacon, fresh basil and enjoy.
Recipe by Chef Chloe Coscarelli
- 1 lb. shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil (optional – I used a very small drizzle)
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss shiitakes with olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated.
- Bake on a lined baking sheet at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Turn halfway through to evenly brown.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 10/1/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Karen – Met Con Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Met Con Saturday