I think we can all agree that pizza is delicious – a sure to please, satisfying meal for everyone. But, pizza can be healthful, too. It’s all about how you prepare it and the type of ingredients you use. In this Pesto Caesar Pizza, we added a ton of greens, some plant-powered protein, and a lot of flavor!
PESTO CAESAR PIZZA
Vegan, Gluten Free (option)
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 pizzas
BASIL & BABY GREENS PESTO SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby greens (kale, chard, collard greens)
- 1/4 cup cashews, pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
Adapted from Post Punk Kitchen – Isa Chandra Moskowitz
BREADED TOFU INGREDIENTS
- ¾ cup fine store-bought breadcrumbs (whole wheat, gluten free)
- ½ tsp. dried thyme, crushed between your fingers
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crushed between your fingers
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 14 oz. extra firm organic sprouted tofu, sliced into 8 slabs widthwise
- 3 Tbsp. tamari
CAESAR DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour and drained
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- ¼ pepperoncinies, with some brine
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
KALE & ROMAINE SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 head curly kale, destemmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Juice from ½ orange
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 ripe avocado
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground turmeric
- 1 head romaine, trimmed and thinly sliced
PIZZA CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 2 Organic Vicolo Pizza Crusts (vegan, gluten free)
BASIL & BABY GREENS PESTO
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spread pesto on 2 pizza crusts.
- Add sliced tomato, optional.
- Bake on 450 for 12-14 minutes.
- Bread all tofu slices.
- Place tamari in a shallow bowl and bread crumb mixture on a plate.
- Coat each tofu slice in tamari then roll in bread crumb mixture.
- In a large non-stick pan, over medium-high heat, cook tofu slabs on each side for about 5 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Once cooked remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Cut on an angle before topping on pizza (once pizza is cooked).
- Combine all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
KALE CAESAR SALAD
- In a large mixing bowl. Combine kale with all ingredients, except for romaine.
- Massage kale until tender and bright green.
- Add romaine and ¼ cup Caesar dressing, and toss.
- Top pizzas with breaded tofu and Caesar and enjoy!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 2/18/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circuit Work
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – HIIT Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – HIIT Thursday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – HIIT Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)