The Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad from a couple weeks back was such a hit – our friends loved it, we loved it and it was great as lunch on the go. So, we amped it up even more with some fresh pesto sauce. Talk about tasty! This Pesto Pasta Salad with Roasted Veggies requires less prep work than the other pasta salad, thanks to some store-bought goodies. In turn, you’ll have more time to sit down and savor its aroma, zest and bright summertime flavor. Enjoy!
PESTO PASTA SALAD with ROASTED VEGETABLES
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6-8 servings
PASTA SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb. pasta (DeLallo GF Brown Rice Pasta, quinoa pasta, etc.)
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 tsp. avocado oil, optional
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted*
- 1 ½ cups (1, 15 oz. can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1, 16 oz. jar Fire Roasted Bell Pepper, diced (Mediterranean Organic)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, optional
- 3 cups basil leaves, packed
- 1 cup baby kale, packed
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews or blanched almonds
- ½ cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. pink salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
PESTO SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Slowly add olive oil while blending the mixture until the texture becomes creamy and smooth, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
PASTA SALAD DIRECTIONS
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, place Brussels sprouts (face down) and cook until lightly browned. Add diced onion, toss and sauté (using broth, water or oil) until onions caramelize and outer edges of Brussels sprouts are golden brown and crisp. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pesto sauce, cooked pasta, Brussels sprouts, peas, chickpeas, and roasted bell pepper. Stir to evenly coat with pesto sauce.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Serve chilled or at room temp.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- To defrost peas, place them in a colander and run under warm water.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 5/21/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Michelle – Circuit Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – HIIT Saturday