Prayer Twist is a vigorous, dynamic pose. It harnesses your inner strength and cultivates a deep sense of awareness. Meet this pose with compassion and patience. Dig deep and remember to breathe.
Prayer Twist Pose or Parivrtta Utkatasana (par-ee-vrit-tah OOT-kah-TAHS-ana)
- From Chair Pose/Utkatasana, inhale draw your hands to your heart center.
- Exhale, hook your left elbow to the lateral part (outside) of your right thigh.
- Firm your abdominal wall.
- Tuck your tailbone.
- Spread your elbows wide and stack your right elbow on top of your left.
- Hug your thighs toward your midline and draw your knees in line with each other.
- Wiggle your toes to bring your weight into your heels.
- Lift your heart and bring your gaze upward.
- Square your hips.
- Hold and breathe for several rounds of breath.
- Inhale into Mountain Pose Tadasana and repeat on the other side.
- Spread your “wings” – bring your top arm up and your bottom arm down to create one line of energy.
- Tones glutes, hamstrings, thighs, obliques and abdominal wall.
- Opens chest.
- Strengthens spine.
- Parivrtta Utkatasana encourages focus in the mind as it builds heat in the body.
Chakra (Energetic Body)
- Prayer Twist Pose engages the muscles in our feet, legs, pelvic floor, abdominal wall, chest and spine. Thus, activating our first chakra (Muladhara), third chakra (Manipura) and fourth chakra (Anahata).
- Our root chakra (Muladhara) is the first of 7 main chakras in the energetic body, located at the base of our spine. The color of this chakra is red. This chakra represents our most basic need for home, stability, safety, and connectedness. When we ignite this chakra in poses like Prayer Twist, we feel abundant and connected to our roots.
- The Solar Plexus or third chakra (Manipura) is associated with our confidence, power, relationship with self and ego. This chakra resides in the abdominal area, obliques and internal organs (pancreas, liver, stomach, spleen). The element of this chakra is fire and the color of this chakra is yellow. When Manipura is in balance, we have a better understanding of self and we are able to separate our higher consciousness from our ego. When practicing asanas, such as prayer twist, we “cultivate a willingness to gain insight into your understanding of power, individuality, and identification.”
- The Heart Chakra or fourth chakra (Anahata) is associated with compassion, service, unconditional love, connectedness and empathy. The element of Anahata is air and the color of this chakra is green. This Anahata is the bridge between our lower three chakras and upper three chakras. It’s where “me” becomes “we”. When Anahata is in balance, our perception of separateness dissolves and we develop a greater understanding of our connection with all living beings.
- There is no limit to your strength. Feel your power, center your focus on your breath and see your energy and spirit soar.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 7/11/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – HIIT Monday
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – TRX HIIT
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristin TRX HIIT
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kick – Coach Michelle (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach James (private class)