This pose has boundless benefits for all. The expansive richness of Supta Buddha Konasana is undeniable, whether you are new to yoga or you have been practicing for years.
Reclined Bound Angle Pose or Supta Baddha Konasana (SOUP-tah BAH-dah cone-NAHS-anna)
- Begin in a comfortable, tall seat on your mat.
- Exhale, plant your feet and slowly lower down onto your back.
- Seal the entire length of your spine into your mat.
- Hug your naval down to firm your belly.
- Walk your feet toward one another and bring the soles of your feet to touch.
- Butterfly your knees into Supta Baddha Konasana, creating a diamond shape with your legs.
- Release your arms by your side, spin your palms to face up.
- Close your eyes.
- Soften the muscles in your face.
- Hold and breathe for several rounds of breath.
- To exit this pose, use your hands to close your knees like a book and hug your knees into your chest.
- For individuals with tight hips and/or groin muscles, place blocks underneath your thighs. This will allow your muscles to gradually open, without causing additional strain on your low back.
- Opens the adductors of the inner thighs, hips and knees.
- Encourages a gentle release in the lower back.
- Inspires focus and restores serenity.
- The second chakra, also known as Svadisthana, is energized by way of the deep hip opening in Supta Baddha Konasana. Svadisthana is located in our hips, sacrum, and lower abdominal areas. The color of this chakra is orange and its essence is water. Exploring Svadisthana through Reclined Bound Angle Pose opens us up to our creativity, intimacy, connection to all things, relationships, and emotions. When this chakra is in balance, we develop a greater sense of peace and contentment. We are empowered and present. We let go of any judgment or attachment to the outcome, and find calm in the unknowing.
- Give into gravity. Gently and organically surrender into this pose, without forcefulness or resistance. Trust the wisdom of your own body and incite an awakening in your higher self.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 9/19/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Chip It Monday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Chip It Monday
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – Battle Ropes N Kettle Bells
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristin – Battle Ropes N Kettle Bells
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Chip It Monday
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kickboxing – Coach Michelle (private class)
1:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach James (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)