When we workout, we put our bodies under progressive stressors both mental and physical. It’s important to consider both of these when we explore recovery and regeneration. On the physical side we have, rolling, stretching, hydration, proper nutrition and rest…but there are things we can do just for mental regeneration that we should also focus on for efficient recovery. When we take the time to work on this part of our fitness, we gain great insight into ourselves and our vision for our health and wellness. I challenge you to try one of these ideas this week, or come up with one of your own.
• Same Vritti or equal breathing is a great way to help the parasympathetic nervous system recover. This is your involuntary nervous system which controls things like your heart rate. Find a comfortable, quiet space to sit or lie down for a few minutes. Pick a one syllable word (love, peace, joy) to time your count. As you inhale count 1 love, 2 love, 3 love, 4 love. Do the same number on the exhale. Perform this for 8 or more rounds of breath.
• Meditation has been proven to lower anxiety. Just 10 minutes a day can make a difference. If you don’t know where to start with this, there is a free trial on headspace thats worth a shot.
• Some people find meditation very difficult. Coloring actually has many of the same physiological effects. There are some pretty cool and pretty funny adult coloring books out there should you be interested.
• Attend the Gumsaba Summer Yoga class at the Rez!
• Get body work from someone who knows what they are doing. A good body worker will have a lot of experience and invest thoughtful processes in your care. I can not recommend Peter at 1521 massage enough. He is an incredible resource and has helped me through some real body battles! 1521massage.com
• Eat to perform. Avoid processed foods and dehydrating food and drinks. Eating a diet rich in alkaline foods is important for joint health. Check out this cool chart to help you out.
To your health,
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Friday 7/8/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Michelle – Old School Track
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – Old School Track
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Briana – Circuit Work
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class Briana & Coach Kristin – Circuit Work
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Joel – Move Out
11:00AM Cytosport Intermediate Circuit Trainig – Coach Joel (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Advanced Circut Training – Coach Joel (private class)
1PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)