Reverse Table Top Pose offers a great deal. As it opens our physical body (chest, shoulders and hips) it simultaneously taps into our spiritual body. Practice this pose when you are warm and take your time setting up, to ensure proper alignment.
Reverse Table Top Pose or Ardha Purvottanasana
- Begin seated in Dandasana, with your legs stretched out in front of you and your arms by your side.
- Bend your knees and plant your feet, hip-width distance apart on your mat.
- Spin your fingers to face your heels.
- Press your palms into your mat.
- Root down in the heels of your feet.
- Lift up through your pelvic floor and firm your abdominals.
- Glide your hips upward, bringing them in line with your shoulders and knees.
- Stack your knees directly over your ankles and your shoulders directly over your wrists.
- Gaze up to lengthen the front and back sides of your neck.
- Slowly release the crown of your head down and shift your gaze back, if your neck will allow.
- Continue to press away from your mat as you offer your heart center up toward the sky.
- Draw your naval toward your spine.
- Engage your hamstrings, glutes and thighs.
- Hold and breathe for a few rounds of breath.
- Slowly lower your hips down to release from this pose.
- Hug a block between your thighs to protect your lower back.
- For individuals with wrist or shoulder injuries, Bridge Pose (Glute Bridge) is an excellent alternative.
- Opens shoulders, hip flexors and chest.
- Tones core muscles, glutes and thighs.
- Prepares the body for more advanced poses, such as Upward Plank Pose.
- This pose helps to quiet the mind as it encourages focus and strength.
- Ardha Purvottanasana awakens two main chakras, Svadisthana and Vishuddha.
- Svadhisthana (also known as the Sacral Chakra or second chakra) is associated with our creativity, pleasure, emotion, and sensuality. This chakra is located in the lower abdominal area near the hips. The element of Svadhisthana is water and the color of this chakra is orange. When this chakra is in balance, we are more centered and peaceful. We are enthusiastic about the journey and less attached to the outcome.
- Vishuddha (also known as the Throat Chakra or fifth chakra) is associated with self-expression, speaking our truth, communication, authenticity and honesty. This chakra is located in the neck, jaw, ears and vocal chords. The color of Vishuddha is a light, turquoise blue. When this chakra is in balance, the pathway to our heart chakra is open. We speak our truth with clarity, love and integrity. We are open to others and accepting of all that is.
- Subtle movements often have the most surprising and rewarding impacts. When you practice this pose, remember to breathe and feel the sensations in your body. Notice where you are most open and where you are more rigid. Refine this pose with each breath, and unfold into your fullest expression with a sense of curiosity and abundance.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 9/12/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Met Con Monday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Met Con Monday
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Met Con Monday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristin – TRX Met Con Monday Up
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana –Met Con Monday
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kickboxing – Coach Michelle (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach James (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)