A few weeks back we explored Half Moon Pose, a wonderfully energizing, demanding pose. Today, we’re taking this pose and turning it around to get a new perspective and new sensation with Revolved Half Moon Pose. While the foundation is the same as Half Moon, this pose seeks to twist and turn, allowing for more depth and a greater challenge overall.
Revolved Half Moon Pose or Parivrtta Ardha Chandrasana (PAHR-ee-VREE-tah ARD-uh chan-DRAHS-uh-nuh)
- From Half Moon Pose (balancing on your right leg), lower your top arm down to your mat or a block.
- Level your hips and square them to your mat.
- Ground down through the heel and ball mound of your standing foot.
- Press through your lifted heel as you spin your pinky toe down.
- Bring your right hand to your sacrum to maintain a flat lumbar spine.
- Spiral your chest to the right, twisting from the middle of your back (your thoracic spine).
- Extend your right arm directly toward the sky.
- Follow your right hand with your gaze.
- Firm your naval upward.
- Lengthen through the crown of your head.
- Create one line of energy from your lifted heel to your crown.
- Reach your fingertips in opposition.
- Float your bottom hand away from the ground or block.
- Broaden through your chest and collarbone.
- Hold and breathe for 8 to 10 rounds of breath.
- Lengthen your body with your inhales.
- Deepen your twist with your exhales.
- Slowly rewind, retracing your steps until you’re back in Half Moon Pose. Release with control into Warrior II Pose or low lunge.
- Reset in Downward Facing Dog.
- Repeat on the other side.
- For individuals with tight shoulders, keep your top hand on your sacrum and focus more on twisting form your thoracic spine.
- Builds core strength and stability.
- Strengthens glutes, quads, ankles, neck, and spine.
- Opens chest, shoulders, groin, and hamstrings.
- Enhances focus and stamina.
- Revolved Half Moon Pose awakens several energetic bodies, also known as chakras, in our body.
- As you activate the muscles in your hips, Revolved Half Moon opens the second chakra, also known as the sacral chakra or Svadhisthana. This chakra is located in our hips, lower abdominals, and sacrum. It governs our emotions, intimacy, movement, pleasure, adventure, and connection to others. The essence of Svadhisthana is water and the color of this chakra is orange. When we tap into this chakra, we are more joyful and peaceful in our own existence. We are less attached to the outcome and more focused on the present moment.
- Another chakra involved in Revolved Half Moon Pose is the third chakra, Manipura. This chakra is located at the navel, just above the solar plexus. The lumbar spine (lower back), abdominal wall and internal organs (including liver, stomach, spleen, and pancreas) are key players in this chakra. The color of this chakra is yellow and the essence of this chakra is fire. “Activation of the Manipura Chakra frees one from negative energies and purifies and strengthens one’s vitality.”
- Moving up from the third chakra, Revolved Half Moon Pose also acts as a gentle heart opener. As you lift from your heart center, you empower your fourth chakra, also known as Anahata. The essence of this chakra is selflessness, the element is air, and the color of this chakra is green. Anahata governs our compassion, empathy, altruism, and respect for all life. This chakra is the root of love and kindness. It’s where we shift from “me” to “we” in our energetic body.
- This twisting, churning, illuminating, soul-freeing pose is nothing short of exhilarating when you really get into it. Go into this pose seeking something new, find your comfortable edge and feel energized throughout.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 10/24/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Intervals + Steady Cardio
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Intervals + Steady Cardio
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristen – TRX Intervals + Steady Cardio
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Intervals + Steady Cardio
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kickboxing – Coach Michelle (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach James (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)