With all this glorious rain we’re getting we had a hankering for some hearty winter stew. Something with a lot of veggies, a full helping of potatoes, savory sausage, and a dash of spice. This Romanesco + Sausage Winter Stew was a winner.
ROMANESCO + SAUSAGE WINTER STEW
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6 servings
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms (any kind), thinly sliced
- 2 links Field Roast Italian Sausage, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth*
- 3 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 2 small or 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 head romanesco (sub broccoli or cauliflower), broken into florets
- 1 15 oz. can (1 ½ cup) great northern beans (sub chickpeas or cannellini beans)
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar + splash
- 1 Tbsp. tarmari
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of fresh oregano
- fresh kale, cabbage or carrots for garnish
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, water sauté diced onions for 3-5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and sausages, and cook another 2-3 minutes, or until onions/mushrooms begin to caramelize.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar then incorporate minced garlic and cook another minute, or until garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add vegetable broth and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, add red and sweet potatoes. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender (test with a fork).
- Add romanesco and beans, and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Incorporate balsamic vinegar and tarmari.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pour into serving bowls, garnish with fresh kale, cabbage or carrots, and enjoy!
- Adjust the amount of broth – start with 6 cups and go from there – until you reach your perfect brothy consistency. Technically stew has very little broth (just enough to cover the main ingredients), but if you like a lot of broth then go for it!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 12/24/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Tabata Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Tabata Circuit
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Tabata Circuit
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Tabata Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)