Saturday morning just got a whole lot better with this Sourdough French Toast. It’s vegan, gluten free (thanks to the amazingly yummy BreadSRSLY Sourdough GF Bread), it’s not too sweet (especially if you leave out the maple syrup) and above all else, it’s delicious! Happy Saturday to you and yours.
SATURDAY MORNING SOURDOUGH FRENCH TOAST
Vegan, Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, refined oil and sugar free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from The Minimalist Baker’s Vegan French Toast
Yields 6-8 slices
FRENCH TOAST INGREDIENTS
- 6-8 slices of BreadSrsly Gluten Free Sourdough Bread, toasted* (available at Whole Foods in WC)
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of pink salt
- Fresh fruit
- Almond butter
- Maple syrup
FRENCH TOAST DIRECTIONS
- Slice bread into ½ inch thick slices and toast, using a toaster oven or oven (to knock it out more quickly). *This step is important when using this specific type of GF bread. If you’re using whole grain sandwich bread or regular sourdough, you can skip this step.
- Meanwhile, whisk together plant milk, ground flax, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Let mixture set for about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a glass baking dish.
- Lay toasted bread in dish, in one even layer. Turn to coat both sides.
- In a large nonstick pan, over medium heat, place soaked toast onto pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned. Turn and repeat on the other side. Be careful not to turn too soon, otherwise the bread may stick.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit, almond butter and maple syrup (for extra sweetness) and enjoy!