A simple dish goes fancy with this Saucy Beans + Rice recipe. Rich in flavor, abounding with whole food, plant-based nutrients – dietary fiber, antioxidants, iron, vitamin C – super satisfying, and easy to make. All topped off with a cool dollop of Chipotle Lime Cashew Cream…you really can’t go wrong.
SAUCY BEANS + RICE with CHIPOTLE LIME CASHEW CREAM
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6-8 servings
- 2 cups short grain brown rice
- 2 cups water + 2 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups of water)
SAUCY BEANS INGREDIENTS
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced, optional
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (no sodium added)
- 5 14.5 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz. can sweet potato puree
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
CHIPOTLE LIME CASHEW CREAM INGREDIENTS
- 1 ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
- ¾ cup water + more for soaking (cashews)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder
- If using a rice cooker, add 2 cups rice and 4 cups liquid, stir, cover and cook according to directions. If using a pan, bring liquid to a boil, add rice, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes. Keep lid on, remove from heat and let sit to steam for another 10 minutes.
SAUCY BEANS DIRECTIONS
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, water sauté diced onion for about five minutes.
- Add minced garlic and jalapeño, and cook for another minute.
- Reduce heat to simmer and Incorporate diced tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, and sweet potato puree.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spices and salt, and adjust seasoning to taste.
CHIPOTLE LIME CASHEW CREAM DIRECTIONS
- Soak cashews in cold water for at least one hour. If you have a high-powered blender (i.e. Vitamix or Blendtec), you can soak for 20 minutes and the mixture should still be creamy.
- Once soaked, drain cashews
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine soaked cashews, lime juice lemon juice, ¾ cup water, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, salt, and chipotle powder.
- Blend for a couple minutes until mixture is creamy and smooth. Time may vary depending on the appliance you’re using.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Assemble Saucy Rice + Beans, garnish with Chipotle Lime Cashew Cream, avocado and enjoy!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 12/17/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuit WORK!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circuit WORK!
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – HIIT Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuit WORK!
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)