We all know veggies are good for us, and many of us associate healthy fruits and veggies with the dark, leafy green kind, or the bright red and purple. But, how many of us are getting enough of the white phytonutrients in our veggies and fruits? These are foods like onion, white beans, squash, mushrooms, pears, and cauliflower. About 83% of us don’t get the proper amount of white phytonutrients ( see here: Phytonutrients-Infographic4). So, let’s turn things around and give these beauties center-stage for once.
The white pigment category of phytonutrients, such as glucosinolates, allicin, quercetin, and EGCG are excellent for our health. They’re shown to help with the prevention of certain cancers, promote the circulatory system, improve arterial function, and fight heart disease.
This Whole Roasted Tahini Cauliflower with Chimichurri Sauce has more than just cauliflower. It’s packed full of the rainbow and all the glorious flavor you can imagine. Cheers!
Get the printer-friendly version with nutrition facts here: Whole Roasted Tahini Cauliflower + Chimichurri Sauce
Whole Roasted Tahini Cauliflower + Chimichurri Sauce
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from One Green Planet
WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER INGREDIENTS
- 1 head of cauliflower, leaves removed
- 4 large rainbow carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 small sweet potatoes, large diced
- 1-2 tsp olive oil (if using a cast iron skillet)
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
TAHINI SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 4 Tbsp tahini
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- Juice from 1 small orange
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp olive oil, optional
- 1 Tbsp warm water to thin
CHIMICHURRI SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley (about 2 cups), stems trimmed
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro (about 1 heaping cup), stems trimmed
- 5 cloves garlic, pealed and gently pressed (with a knife to remove skin)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 jalapeño or hot pepper of choice, seeded
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER METHOD
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rinse cauliflower thoroughly and trim leaves. Cut bottom stem down to create an even, flat surface.
- Steam cauliflower: Cover the bottom of a large pot with about 1 inch of water, place a steamer basket on top, add whole cauliflower, and bring water to a boil. Cover and steam for 4-5 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, scrub carrots and slice into large, even-sized wedges. No need to peel the carrots – this is where the majority of the nutrients are.
- Roughly chop onions into even sized pieces.
- Scrub and rinse sweat potatoes. Dice into large, even-sized pieces.
- The more uniform you can get your veggies, the easier it will be to time this dish.
- Using a cast iron pan or other circular baking dish, drizzle in olive oil. Spread oil around surface with clean hands or a brush.
- Add chopped carrots, onion, and sweet potatoes. Using clean hands, toss with seasoning and 1 more tsp oil, if desired.
- Move seasoned veggies to the perimeter of the pan to make room for the cauliflower.
- Place steamed cauliflower in the center and surround the cauliflower with chopped, seasoned veggies.
- Pour all of the tahini sauce over the cauliflower, and allow the sauce to drip onto the pan and surrounding veggies.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes at 450 degrees F, or until veggies are fully cooked and cauliflower is slightly browned on the top.
- Remove from heat, garnish with a generous drizzle of chimichurri.
- Let sit for a couple minutes before cutting.
- Eat as is, use as a filling in tacos, or on top of a bed of leafy greens. Yum!
Tahini Sauce Ingredients
SPICED TAHINI SAUCE METHOD
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together ingredients.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
CHIMICHURRI SAUCE METHOD
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend for about 1 minute, or until contents are creamy and smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Before vs. after (look at all that beautiful color!)