Now that summertime and triple digit temperatures are in full swing, mealtime is about whipping up healthful, light, easy dishes that fill you up without weighing you down. Although I am all for whole grains, because of their long list of health benefits, I fully support increasing veggie intake by way of cleverly created dishes…introducing, Savory Summer Cauliflower Rice. With just a few ingredients and about 10 minutes, you’ll have yourself a plant-strong, eye-catching, bright side dish sure to please at your next dinner party or BBQ.
SAVORY SUMMER CAULIFLOWER RICE
Yields ~6 servings
Adapted from The Kitchn’s Cauliflower Rice and Couscous
By Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 head cauliflower (white, green, or purple – my favorite)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, avocado or coconut oil (optional)
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- fresh basil, dill or cilantro, minced
- pinch of spice (red pepper flakes, paprika, cayenne)
- Thoroughly rinse cauliflower, remove leaves/stems (set aside for garnish), cut into florets, and run under warm water (in a colander). Drain and pat dry.
- In a food processor, add florets and pulse until they’re broken up. Scrape down the sides and pulse again until cauliflower is in rice-sized granules.
- Remove contents from the food processor and set aside.
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, combine the cauliflower rice and oil (if desired).
- Toss to evenly coat the rice with the oil. Reduce the heat and cover for a few minutes until the rice is tender (about 3-5 min).
- Remove from heat.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, herbs and spices.
- Place reserved stems and leaves in a serving bowl, top with the cauliflower rice (as pictured above), and enjoy!
- For leftovers, allow rice to cool before storing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 6/25/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Pick Up Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – TRX Partner
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – TRX Partner
7:10 AM Summer Walnut Creek class – Coach Briana – Pick Up Circuit
8:15AM Outdoor Yoga at the Moraga Commons – Coach Jentry
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Pick Up Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)