From all of your time in class, it’s safe to say most of you are familiar with Scorpions (facing down on your mat). Today’s Sunday Stretch explores Scorpions in Downward Facing Dog form. With similar benefits to Scorpions (hip opening and spinal twisting), Scorpion Dog is a more elevated, challenging variation of Scorpions. Before practicing this pose, savor a good Downward Facing Dog for a few breaths to get your body acclimated to the inversion. Notice the quality of your inhales and exhales, and move with control. Imagine you are maneuvering through molasses as you extend your leg high and open your hips. Breathe and flow with intention, and feel the benefits of this pose long after you practice it.
Blue loves to keep me company while I play around in Scorpion Dog.
- Begin in Downward Facing Dog.
- Inhale, lift your right leg high. Lead with your heel.
- Exhale, bend your right knee and open your hips.
- Stack your right hip on top of your left.
- Square your shoulders down.
- Hug your ribs and your naval toward your spine.
- Wrap your triceps in, spin your biceps forward.
- Fan your fingers wide and root down evenly through both hands.
- Softly roll out your right knee, hip and ankle in both directions.
- Hold and breathe for a few rounds of breath.
- Exhale into Downward Facing Dog.
- Repeat on the left side.
- For individuals with back or shoulder injuries it may be best to opt out of this pose.
- Opens hip flexors.
- Lubricates the knee, ankle and hip joints.
- Strengthens shoulders.
- Relieves stress.
- Improves focus.
- Scorpion Dog brings spaciousness into the second chakra, also known as Svadisthana. This chakra is located in our hips, sacrum, and lower abdominal areas. The color of this chakra is orange and its essence is water. Exploring Svadisthana through Scorpion Dog opens us up to our creativity, intimacy, connection to all things, relationships, and emotions. When this chakra is in balance, we develop a greater sense of peace and contentment. We are empowered and present. We let go of any judgment or attachment to the outcome, and find calm in the unknowing.
- Tap into your breathing. Cultivate your ujjayi breath, stretching out your inhales and exhales. Expand your awareness, transcending your breath and body, moving deep within your spirit.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 9/26/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – HIIT Monday!
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – HIIT Monday!
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Kristin – HIIT TRX + Battle Ropes
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday!
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels Cardio Kickboxing – Coach Michelle (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach James (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)