Everyone raise the roof for soup! When you cook and eat to nourish your body with the best of the best, a wonderful thing happens…you feed your body and soul.
Today’s soup is full of flavor and packed with a whole bunch of nutrients. It’s even better the next day. Enjoy!
Shiitake & Sweet Potato Miso-Coconut Soup with Beet Noodles
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 6 servings
- 1 medium onion or 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 3-4 gloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layers/ends removed and chopped into 3-inch pieces (large enough to remove after cooking)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup miso
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 large carrots, gently peeled and sliced into coins
- 4-6 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 golden beets, peeled and spiralized (into noodles)
- 1, 15 oz. can light coconut milk
- 2 limes, 1 for juice 1 for garnish
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 4 leaves curly kale, de-stemmed and torn into small pieces
- small handful cilantro, minced for garnish
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, water-sauté onions/shallots for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shitakes, sauté until tender and lightly browned.
- Add ginger root, garlic, lemon grass and sauté for 1 minute, until aromatic.
- Add vegetable broth and stir in miso, tamari/soy sauce, maple syrup.
- Bring mixture to a gentle boil, add carrots, sweet potatoes, and beet noodles. Cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes/carrots are tender (check with a fork).
- Reduce heat, add coconut milk and juice from 1 lime. Cover and simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Pour into serving bowls, stir in kale*, garnish with cilantro, and lime, and enjoy!
- To preserve the nutrients in the kale, it’s best to add it at the last minute right before serving. The heat from the soup with gently cook the kale until it’s tender, but not over-cooked.
- For a heartier meal, this soup is great poured over brown rice.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 12/10/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circuit City
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circuit City
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Karen – Met Con Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circuit City