Cabbage is one of those superfoods that happens to be super tasty and super easy on your pocketbook. It offers a lot of nutrition for your buck, or as Dr. Greger from Nutritionfacts.org suggests, purple cabbage is a “superfood bargain”. It’s relatively inexpensive, it stays fresh for several days, it’s packed with phytonutrients shown to “boost immune function” and it’s easy on the eyes – a stunning color that brightens just about any dish. The beauty and benefits of this colorful vegetable are what sparked my inspiration for this Southwestern Rainbow Slaw creation. It’s just a tad tangy, a touch spicy and perfectly crisp. This slaw goes well with nearly everything…tacos, salads, sweet potatoes, veggie burgers, tamales, and more. Take your pick!
SOUTHWESTERN RAINBOW SLAW
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 bag shredded Organic Green & Purple Cabbage with Orange Carrots (available at Trader Joe’s), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen organic sweet corn, thawed
- 2 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- ½ orange peeled and sliced
- juice from ½ orange (Cara Cara or naval)
- juice from 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. olive oil, optional
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine shredded cabbage, corn, green onions, jalapeño, cilantro and sliced oranges.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Incorporate dressing with veggies and toss to evenly coat.
- Chill before serving. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- Enjoy on tacos, enchiladas, veggie burgers or green salads.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 6/16/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – S & E Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Michelle – S & E Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Endurance Work
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – S & E Circuit
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Endurance Work
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – S & E Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)