When you love tacos and it happens to be National Taco Day, you celebrate with…you guessed it. Tacos! Spicy Beer & Lime Tofu Tacos in a crunchy and soft taco topped with all the fixings. Tofu not only packs a high-protein punch, there’s also evidence it’s a “Waistline-Slimming Food” and it’s abundant with powerful phytonutrients. From my own experience, I can tell you it tastes amazing after marinating in this spicy lime and beer sauce. Health-promoting and full of flavor – the best of both worlds.
SPICY BEER & LIME TOFU TACOS
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, refined oil free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Thug Kitchen
Yields 8 gordita-style tacos
SPICY BEER & LIME TOFU INGREDIENTS
- 1-20oz. package WILDWOOD® ORGANIC HIGH PROTEIN TOFU SUPER FIRM (available at Whole Foods)
- 8 oz. beer (use a gluten free beer such as Bard’s or substitute with vegetable broth)
- Juice from 1 large or 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 ½ Tbsp. hot sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed and minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
OTHER TACO INGREDIENTS
- 1-15 oz. can refried black beans
- 8 taco shells
- 8 soft tortillas (corn, flour or combo)
- sliced green onion
- Cut tofu into even slabs (about ¼ in. thick). Lay tofu in a single layer in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Whisk together beer, lime juice, maple syrup, tamari, hot sauce, minced garlic and spices. Adjust seasoning to taste. Pour over tofu. Flip tofu to evenly coat. Place a lid or plastic wrap over tofu dish and let sit for at least 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- About 10 minutes before the tofu is done marinating, preheat oven to 400 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After marinating, remove tofu slabs from marinade, shake off excess marinade, and transfer to lined baking sheet.
- Reserve 1-2 Tbsp. of marinade to mix with refried beans.
- Bake tofu for 30 minutes at 400 °F. Turn halfway through to evenly brown.
- About 5 minutes before tofu is done, mix refried beans with 1-2 Tbsp. marinade and heat up (stovetop or microwave method).
- Warm taco sells and tortillas
- Remove tofu from oven, cut into thin strips.
- Assemble tacos, “gordita” style by spreading refried beans on soft tortillas, then wrap tortilla (bean side) underneath taco shell. Fill tacos with tofu strips, top with salsa, guacamole, green onions, and enjoy!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 10/6/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Stamina Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Stamina Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach Michelle – HIIT Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Stamina Circuit
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – HIIT Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Stamina Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry Lee (private class)
3:30PM Varsity Stretching – Miramonte – Coach Michelle + Coach Piper (private class)