In honor of Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday, we cooked up a spicy, saucy pot of Gumbo. What a treat! It transported me back to my childhood – my family always went big when it came to celebrating Mardi Gras. With a nice amount of spice and tons of vegetables, this filling, hearty, healthy dish will make you feel like you’re celebrating in NOLA with the best of them!
SPICY GUMBO with PURPLE RICE
Yields 4-6 Servings
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 4 rainbow carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed and minced
- 2 links Field Roast Smoked Apple Sausage, sliced
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. Cajun Creole Seasoning Blend
- 2 tsp. paprika (smoked or sweet – however you like)
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
- 2 cups purple rice (I used Alter Eco Thai Sticky Purple Rice)
- 4 cups liquid (2 cups water + 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth)
- Prepare rice, according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, over medium-high heat, sauté onion and Brussels Sprouts until sprouts are browned.
- Add celery, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until carrots begin to soften.
- Add garlic and sausage, cook for another couple minutes.
- Incorporate diced tomatoes, broth, diced sweet potato and seasoning.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, serve on top of rice and enjoy.
- The original recipe calls for making a roux with olive oil and flour. I skipped this step and used sweet potatoes to (slightly) thicken the gumbo instead. If you’re a fan of roux, however, go for it! I have no doubt it’s delicious either way.
- I didn’t have any okra, so I substituted with Brussels Sprouts. Not exactly a classic element of Gumbo, but a really nice addition!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 2/11/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Obstacle Course Chipper
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Obstacle Course Chipper
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Thursday Intervals + Crazy 8’s
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Obstacle Course Chipper
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Thursday Intervals + Crazy 8’s
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Obstacle Course Chipper
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)