Classic potato salad doesn’t have to be doused in mayo to be satisfying and creamy. All you need to make a rich, bright potato salad is a ripe avocado (along with potatoes and a few other ingredients, of course)! Yep, the trusty avocado saves the day again! Get your fill of savory and sweet with this Summertime Potato Salad. No squeeze bottle necessary.
SUMMERTIME POTATO SALAD
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Adapted from Forks Over Knives Vegan Potato Salad
Yields 4-6 servings
- 2 Lbs. baby potatoes
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. orange juice *
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh or dried dill
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- pinch of Himalayan salt, or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ bunch green onions (green part), thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot or small red onion, thinly sliced and diced
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Remove any dark spots.
- Using a metal steamer basket, steam potatoes for 10-12 minutes, or until tender all the way through. To test, stick with a metal fork.
- Remove from heat, drain, and rinse with cold water. Store in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, smash ripe avocado flesh and combine with lemon juice, orange juice (*2 Tbsp. for added sweetness), mustard, vinegar, dill, paprika, cayenne, Himalayan salt, and black pepper.
- Remove cooled potatoes from the refrigerator, cut into bit-sized pieces, and combine with sliced green onions, shallots/red onion and celery in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in avocado mixture and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve chilled.
- Store and refrigerate in an air-tight container for about 3 days.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 7/23/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Chip it DOWN, Run it out.
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Chip it DOWN, Run it out.
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Michelle – Base OUT.
7:10 AM Summer Walnut Creek class – Coach Briana – Chip it DOWN, Run it out.
8:15AM Outdoor Yoga at the Moraga Commons – Coach Michelle
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Chip it DOWN, Run it out.
11:00AM Cytosport Power Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)