Just when I thought salads couldn’t get any better I discovered these tasty gems, Sweet Potato Croutons! They’re easy to make and their sweet and savory flavor help take salads to the next level. Just another way to get your veggies and so much more. Sweet potatoes are a bona fide superfood. They contain cancer-fighting properties and they offer a healthy does of antioxidants. So, eat up, folks!
SWEET POTATO CROUTONS
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, refined oil free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Engine2Diet
SWEET POTATO CROUTON INGREDIENTS
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- ¼ cup corn meal
- ½ cup ground flax meal*
- ½ tsp. pink salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne, optional
SWEET POTATO CROUTON DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scrub and rinse potatoes. Cut into cubes.
- Rinse potatoes and shake excess water, using a strainer.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour potato cubes and dry spice mixture into large plastic bag, and shake well until all cubes are well coated.
- Transfer potatoes onto lined baking sheets, making an even layer on each sheet.
- Roast at 450 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or until bottom edges are golden brown.
- Turn potatoes, using a spatula, and roast for another 8-12 minutes, or until other side is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and serve on your favorite salad.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- To reheat leftovers, toss over medium heat in a nonstick skillet for a few minutes, or until heated through.
- I suggest you make your own flax meal by grinding whole flax seeds in a clean, dry coffee grinder. You can buy flax meal in the store, but it goes bad quickly. So, the most economical method is to buy a large bag of flax seeds and grind as you need them. Yes, it’s an extra step, but this will ensure you’re eating fresh flax meal and nothing rancid and yucky. Cheers!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 4/28/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – See Ya Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – See Ya Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Pull Your Weight
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – See Ya Circuit
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Pull Your Weight
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – See Ya Circuit
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Pull Your Weight
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
11:00AM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)