Today is National Pancake Day, so we’re celebrating with…waffles! We’re rebels like that.
I love sharing recipes with a short ingredient list, especially when the ingredients are easy to cook and easy to eat. Sweet potatoes pack a powerful, nutrient-rich punch – they’re high in vitamin A, potassium, calcium, magnesium, dietary fiber, manganese, and iron. Oh, and they are delicious!!! Because of their sweet, subtle flavor and smooth texture, sweet potatoes work well with savory and sweet ingredients. So, it’s all up to you on how you dress your waffles. Have fun and be creative!
Sweet Potato Waffles
Adapted from Plant-Based Katie’s Potato Waffle
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 4 waffles
- 4 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large sweet potatoes cut in half)
- 2 tsp oil, optional (olive or avocado is best)
- pinch of Himalayan salt
Suggested waffle toppings:
If you’re in the savory mood…
- Black beans
- Fresh corn
- Sliced avocado
- Avocado Cilantro Crème sauce (recipe below)
If you’re in the sweet mood…
- Fresh berries
- Sliced bananas
- Drizzle of pure maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron – turn to high (for crispy waffles).
- Cook potatoes.
- The fastest route is the microwave. Wash and scrub potatoes. Pat dry and pierce skin a few times. Wrap in a clean rag or paper towel and cook on high for 3-4 minutes. Stop and turn. Cook another 3-4 minutes until potatoes or tender – test by gently squeezing (be sure to use a rag or hot pad so you don’t burn yourself.
- If using oil, brush iron lightly with oil and place cooked potato on the waffle iron (cook 1 potato at a time), shut the lid and let cook until crispy (most waffle irons have a “done” or “ready” alert).
- Once your waffle is ready, remove from iron and keep warm in the oven (on 250 degrees F) until all waffles are cooked.
- Serve warm and top with all the fixings.
Avocado Cilantro Crème Sauce
- Avocado flesh from a whole avocado (see video for best peeling instructions)
- 2 Tbsp. water, or more as needed to thin out
- 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice,
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
Cheers to your health!